On this episode of the podcast I ask Theresa Speights, tax attorney and manager of resolutions at Community Tax LLC in Chicago, about what you should look for when hiring a tax preparer.
This episode is sponsored by my FREE training: 3 legal & tax mistakes made by new & experienced business owners and how you can avoid them. Sign up for this free Masterclass here, and get ready to unf*ck your biz.
What to look for in a tax preparer:
1. Never hire anyone who says they're going to be able to get you a huge refund. Eventually you will get audited and you will owe a lot of money.
2. Just because they are on the IRS website as someone you can go to doesn't mean they are good at their job. Ask anyone who refers you about their experience.
3. If you have simple taxes, like a W2, you will be fine at places like Liberty Tax or H&R Block. If you have more complicated matters it's best to hire a CPA.
4. Ask good questions. Learn if they are more aggressive or conservative when preparing your taxes. For example are they stretching your deductions, or highlighting when you may have gone too far with expenses you want to deduct?
5. Be familiar with your books. Even if you have a bookkeeper, familiarize yourself with the expenses so no deductions from your tax preparer are too surprising
Join the Braden's Bestie's Facebook group for a chance to have your question answered on the podcast.
Get in touch with our guest
Theresa Speights, manager of resolutions at Community Tax LLC
Check out the Community Tax website to email her directly or call her at 773-724-2795
Have a follow up questions or want to meet some fellow kickass biz owners who also are trying to get their shit legit? Come be a bestie and join us in the Facebook Group.
You'll learn: what the three mistakes are; how to fix them; and also how to work with me to get your legal & tax shit legit.